It is a place that has an almost mythical status amongst fly fishermen in Kenya. Many people had said to me, knowing that I was a keen fisherman, "You must get to L. Alice - it has very large trout, averaging over 2lbs". I thought this was exaggeration, but I was determined to get there, especially when I was told what a beautiful place it was - so high up (12,500 feet) on Mount Kenya.

Because it takes 5 hours to get there by car, even in a powerful four-wheel drive car (it is much easier - but more expensive - to fly up there) it is sensible to stay up there overnight if one is going to enjoy any worthwhile fishing. Consequently, it is best to book the comfortable log cabins at Rutundu 2,000 feet below L. Alice, which also have a small lake full of fit trout in front of them.

After much talk about it, and after several cancellations due to the weather, I finally got there. Belinda, my wife, could not come but was happy enough for me to go up, by myself, during the middle of the week. So, fully prepared with warm clothing, pre-cooked meals, and a large selection of fishing kit, most of which proved unnecessary, off I went. Of the 5 hours it takes from Nairobi to get to the log cabins at Rutundu, 2 hours are spent driving the last 35 kms, and thank goodness for the reinforced suspension on the Toyota. It is another two-hour walk up to L. Alice and it is also a 2,000 ft climb - and at that height real lung-bursting stuff. My guide obviously thought that I looked much fitter than I was because on the first day the walk took us an hour and a quarter and on the second day we got there in a gasping 45 minutes. Fortunately, I had just had a medical check up and knew that my heart was in satisfactory working order and that my haemoglobin content was okay.

A couple of small problems almost spoiled the trip. Within about an hour of arrival I went fishing on Lake Rutundu, which is right outside the cabins. A vicious wind (and poor casting) flicked the fly that I was using (it is fly fishing only) firmly and deeply into the back of my neck. When I got the guide to have a look, because I couldn't see it myself, he became concerned and said I would have to get the doctor to look at it. Well, not wishing to drive back three hours to where there might be a doctor, and not wishing to wait for three days with a hook going septic in my neck, I gave him a quick lesson on how to remove it, which he did very well. When I subsequently told Belinda, after her experience with one of my flies through her ear whilst salmon fishing on the Inver, in Scotland, she thought that it was highly amusing. The other thing that almost spoiled the trip was the fact that I forgot to take sun tan lotion. It did not spoil the fishing but it certainly spoiled my complexion.

It was all worth it, because the fishing was amazing. I was a bit worried at first because not many fish had been caught in the previous week or two -not that it is ever heavily fished - and because it is the coldest time of the year up there; I suppose the equivalent of fishing in mid winter in England.

The first place that I got to, the guide recommended that I wade out to cast beyond the weeds that fringed that particular shore line, which I did. It looked quite shallow - the water is so clear that you can see pebbles on the bottom 20ft below you - but the place that I was wading was very soft, and I found myself sinking in the mud, and in the process filling up both my waders with icy cold water. So, wet waders for the rest of the day! The guide had told me that the fish liked to take very deep and so I decided to use the famous technique, as perfected by the fishermen of the Queen Mother reservoir - a booby fly attached to a very fast sinking line.

After fishing for a while without any success I began to get concerned thinking that the trout in a place like L. Alice are hardly likely to appreciate an orange booby fly - that's for fat and lazy trout on midlands reservoirs in England. I think, also, that the guide had very little faith, and probably thought that I was a totally crazy fisherman using this ridiculous looking fly, instead of a "Mrs. Simpson", the only fly which Kenyan fishermen seem to use.

We moved around to a different spot and, as I slowly retrieved the fly from the depths to which it had sunk, I felt a pluck. I carried on retrieving and I felt something more than a pluck. I tightened and was into a rainbow trout, which came shooting out of the water. It was just over 3lbs and fought fiercely. It was not long before I caught another and during the two short days fishing, I caught 21 bright silvery rainbow trout, mostly immaculate. (A couple of hens full of eggs and a couple of spent cocks, were not in such good condition.)

On the first day I fished for five hours and on the second day for only four hours - because of exposure to the sun. They were very clear days. It is a lovely spot and must be one of the quietest places on earth, with no man-made sounds and only a couple of fish eagles and rock hyrax to disturb the silence. The water is incredibly clear and if you have a pair of Polaroids you can see the trout swimming around the margins, which makes me think that when there is warmer weather, there is much potential for stalking trout with nymphs and other flies; maybe a Mrs. Simpson? On reflection I think that it was probably the best couple of days trout fishing that I've ever had - beating even the 'Queen Mother'.

Any of you planning to Kenya, should take the opportunity to catch trout 12,500 high on the Equator. Not only is the fishing good, but it is an area of outstanding beauty and there is a good chance that you will see many wild animals in the vicinity that you are fishing. Elephants have often been seen up there - sometimes as high as 11,000ft. I can only think that these mountaineering elephants must be descendants of Hannibal's elephants. I have seen Buffalo, Zebra and Kudu up there as well as a range of small animals and some rarer species of birds. It is quite easy to arrange and accommodation is very comfortable at the log cabins at Rutundu.